Subscribe to darkmuse, my mailing list!

Monday, November 15, 2010

Give Thanks

Thanksgiving is a joyful time to feel gratitude for the finer things in life. I remember when I was a kid and the holidays were fun and entertaining. Everyone got along back then and we were happy. My mom would make the turkey (which I love and could never wait to get once a year) and pumpkin pies. My dad was famous for his wonderful stuffing (which I never ate since I don’t like stuffing but I’m told it was the best). Since it was a holiday weekend, we would enjoy having the time off.

In the morning, we always started with watching the Thanksgiving Day parade on TV. I never liked parades much, though, but it was tradition in our house. My favorite show around this time of the year was A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. My dad loved Snoopy’s antics, and so did I. The turkey would be in the oven, awaiting its gruesome fate, while its delectable aromas filled our house. It was a day to really give thanks, and back then, I was thankful for a lot of things.

We never even dreamed of hitting the stores on Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, but for a lot of people, it’s tradition. Some people chose this weekend to go hunting for a Christmas Tree and Thanksgiving symbolized the beginning of the Christmas season. Santa Claus always arrived at the end of the Thanksgiving Day Parade. Not so today. The Christmas season seems to start when November arrives.

I just recently had my 41st birthday. Things are totally different today than when I was a kid. My four older siblings are all married with kids of their own, but I’m still single and alone. Some years it’s easier to give thanks and other times, it’s a lot harder. I know I should be thankful for the simple things we have – being alive, family, my job (ever since the economy dropped, I can barely scrape together enough money to pay bills), my home, and friends. But I’m not (it’s a long story and I’m no longer able to vent or share my writing journeys on this personal blog journal of mine anymore – a blog that no one outside of a few family members even read). Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm glad to have those things, but sometimes they seem to be more trouble than they are worth, but things could be a lot worse, I suppose, and are for a lot of people. It's really a sad state we live in these days.

What I am thankful for is having a faithful companion that loves me (my dog), being a creative thinker (my writing is all I have), and for God’s love (He could never let anyone down). I’m also thankful that I have food, shelter, and clothes. I wish I could be thankful for having lots of money to share with those less fortunate, but seeing as how I barely make much in my current job, that’s one dream that will have to wait to be thankful for.

I miss the old days when we were all happy and loved. Now, the holidays are just one huge grudge match, it seems. But I’m sure I’m not alone.

What are you thankful for?

No comments: