Sunday, October 24, 2010
Interview with Heidi M. Thomas
But life during the Great Depression brings unrelenting hardships and unexpected family responsibilities. Nettie must overcome challenges to her lifelong rodeo dreams, cope with personal tragedy, survive drought, and help Jake keep their horse herd from disaster.
Will these challenges break this strong woman?
This sequel to Cowgirl Dreams is based on the life of the author’s grandmother, a real Montana cowgirl.
1. How long have you been writing?
Ever since I could form letters, words and sentences! I loved writing stories in elementary and high school, then I received my degree in journalism in college and pursued that field for many years, before returning to my first love—fiction.
2. Who/what motivates you to write?
I started out wanting to tell stories from my family history. I’ve learned so much, and continue to learn as I write. Now I want to tell stories that not onlyl preserve a historical, western way of life, but also engage and entertain the reader.
3. Follow the Dream is the second in your “Dare to Dream” series. What can you tell us about this book and the overall series?
The series is based on strong, independent Montana women who dare to strive for a dream not readily available to them in the era, social or family norms. Follow the Dream is the continuation of Nettie’s pursuit of her rodeo dream.
4. What/who is the inspiration for this book?
My grandmother was the basis for both Cowgirl Dreams and Follow the Dream. She was an avid rancher and horsewoman and rode bucking stock in Montana rodeos during the 1920s and ‘30s.
5. When did Follow the Dream come out? Who published it?
It was released Oct. 1 by Treble Heart Books. http://www.trebleheartbooks.com/
6. What was the thinking behind the design of the book’s cover? How do these horses capture the essence of the book?
During the 1930s drought my grandparents were forced to trail their herd of horses 400 miles from northern Montana to Salmon, Idaho to find grass. This scene depicts the adventurous trail ride over a steep mountain pass.
7. What audience are you targeting with this book/series?
My books are written for adults, but are also suitable for young adult readers.
8. Who is your favorite character, and why?
Well, Nettie, of course! So far, I’ve written only from her point of view. I do like all of my characters—I’ve come to know them probably better than I actually knew my grandparents.
9. Tell us one thing about yourself that people would be surprised to learn.
I once sang with a Sweet Adeline group at Carnegie Hall.
10. Are there any writers (living or dead) that are influencing you now?
Everything I read influences me to one degree or another. My current favorites are Ivan Doig, a fellow Montana author, and Jane Kirkpatrick, who writes historical fiction.
11. What message would you like to leave to the reader?
It’s never too late to pursue your dream, and don’t be afraid to change the dream if necessary.
12. Where can people go to learn more about your work, or to perhaps sample, checkout, or purchase your book(s)?
Autographed copies can be ordered on website http://www.heidimthomas.com/ Books also can be ordered from my publisher http://www.trebleheartbooks.com/SDHeidiThomas.html and Follow the Dream is available on Kindle at Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Follow+the+Dream+Heidi+M.+Thomas&x=0&y=0
Thank you, Heidi, for a wonderful interview. Good luck with your book(s).
Please visit http://thedarkphantom.wordpress.com/ on October 26th to read my interview with Mayra Calvani.