Subscribe to darkmuse, my mailing list!

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Parking/Traffic Laws in Michigan

I'm out delivering papers this morning and it irks me when people have to park on bends on side streets. This should be illegal, but I guess it's not. What's even worse was on one street there were two cars parked on the bend, one on either side of the street. Are people that oblivious or are they just stupid? It's very difficult to see around the bend if there are other cars coming or not, so this makes driving dangerous for others. Use common sense, people!

One thing that I believe is illegal in Michigan is people who don't move over when they see a police car on the side of the road. This is called the Move Over Law. I did this today. There were two police cars who had pulled someone over. They were in the left lane. I saw them in plenty of time and moved over one lane before I got there. I was the only one that moved over. No one else ahead of me or behind me moved over. Of course, I had to get right back in the lane I was in to make a turn, so I had to wait for traffic to clear since none of the idiots thought it prudent enough to move over.

What types of parking violations will warrant a ticket in Michigan?

Parking in a disabled space without the proper permit or disabled driver license plate, parking within 15 feet of a fire hydrant, 20 feet of a fire station driveway, or 500 feet of a car accident. It is illegal to park on a highway, bridge, or overpass, in an intersection or crosswalk, or blocking a driveway, alley, or sidewalk wheelchair access ramp. When parallel parking, do not park more than 12 inches from the curb. Double parking is also illegal. Remember that in addition to these state laws, you must also obey all locally posted parking signs.

No comments: