Subscribe to darkmuse, my mailing list!

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Diabetes StepOut Update

Well, I did the diabetes walk this past Saturday at the Detroit Zoo. My team managed to raise a little over $900. This was for a worthy cause; however, the event itself was poorly mismanaged.

We got there at a very chilly 7:30 a.m. to check-in. Surprisingly, there wasn't a long line-up yet so it didn't take us long to get inside. We had a team photo taken by their photographer, but we have no idea if or how we get a copy of the picture. No one could seem to give us any info.

I had left my water bottle in the car, so the first thing I wanted was another bottle of water. I would have bought one at the entrance for $2.25, but was under the impression the StepOut people would supply us with free water along the way. So we asked one of the StepOut workers about water. She told us there was water up ahead at the big tent where we were to start our walk. I'm glad I didn't pay for water now. But what a shock it was when we got to the tent! They were setting up for breakfast. They had hot chocolate, coffee, and water, but weren't allowed to give us any! We asked several people and they all said it was for AFTER the walk. Hmm, hot chocolate before the walk at 7:30 a.m. when it was 50 degrees, or after the walk when it jumped up to 80 degrees? And water afterwards?

I threw a fit and refused to walk if I didn't have water. Finally, someone gave me a bottle but we were told there would be water stations all along the route. Hah! Two miles around the zoo. None of the route was even marked and there were NO water stations anywhere. Can you believe that? If I hadn't insisted someone give me water before I started, I would have died of dehydration. Why did they keep insisting there was water when there really wasn't?

And none of the food stands were open either, so it's not like we could just go up and buy something to drink.

Then came the end of the walk. They had breakfast of fruit and bagels. I had assumed they would serve something more real or else I would have eaten a nice breakfast before I walked. And to make matters worse, they ran out of hot chocolate and coffee before I could get any!

*sigh*

What a disappointing day, but at least we helped raise money for the diabetes fund.

No comments: