Subscribe to darkmuse, my mailing list!

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Fundraiser for Diabetes

Hi folks!

On October 11, 2008, I will be joining hundreds of people in the American Diabetes Association’s Step Out: Walk to Fight Diabetes fund-raising walk at the Detroit Zoo.

I am participating this year because diabetes affects my family personally. Finding a cure for diabetes is important to me because it affects so many people in our community. Did you know that there are nearly 21 million Americans living with this disease? Diabetes is the fifth-deadliest disease in the United States. Some complications that occur as a result of diabetes include heart attack, blindness, stroke and neuropathy.

Step Out is a chance for members of our community to take a stand in the fight against diabetes. We’ll walk not only for our own health, but also as a statement that we’re going to fight this disease. Feel free to join us on October 11th for a fun-filled morning of festivities, exercise, and more. My team name is The Night Watchmen.

Please support me in my efforts to help the American Diabetes Association find a cure for diabetes. Donate to my campaign! You can make your donation online at diabetes.org/stepout . The funds I raise will support the research, education and advocacy efforts of the American Diabetes Association.

Help us stop America’s fastest growing disease! Your donation CAN make a difference- both to me and the millions of other Americans affected by diabetes.

2 comments:

Vwriter said...

Finally, another posting!

I have several friends and a brother with diabetes, so I'm behind you on this one, Miss Shelby.

I'll take care of donating before the end of the week.

SP said...

Cool, thanks. I'd appreciate it a lot. I never did anything like this before, but since my niece moved in with me this year and her mom has diabetes, she's done the walk every year and suggested we do it this year. Plus, I did want to go to the zoo for my birthday this year. :-)