Subscribe to darkmuse, my mailing list!

Monday, January 15, 2007

Update and an Invitation

Hi folks!

When I first started this blog, I was the proud founder and president of a local horror writing club, The Michigan Horror Writers. We had been in business for over three years. However, last year, the group took a turn for the worse. I’m not going to accuse anybody on a public board here or badmouth them for causing the group’s downfall because as its founder, I should have taken better care of her and asked the troublemakers to leave a long time ago, but since I’m the type of person to give people chances, I didn’t, and things went from bad to worse in a few short months. The day after Thanksgiving I tendered my resignation and turned the group over to some people who I thought would treat her well. It turns out they couldn’t handle it, and they dissolved the organization recently, which made me feel wonderful having the knowledge that its members were left out in the cold. Well, we can’t have that, so I’ll be starting up a more informal group within the next few weeks. It will be open to writers and fans of horror, sci fi, and fantasy. If you’re interested in joining, please email me and I’ll send you a personal invitation once I have the new domain and website up.

The Michigan Horror Writers site has been cancelled and will be removed soon. Please do not send anything to that group any longer.

Thank you!

5 comments:

Stewart Sternberg said...

I think this is a mistake. I would reclaim the group now that it is laying fallow. It's a great name. Even if the group is reborn and does little for the next couple years other than serve as a title for people coming together to casually critique, it is worth it.

SP said...

Keep the same name but start all over with the group?

Stewart Sternberg said...

Yep. Michigan Horror Writers..or Michigan Genre Writers...or Michigan Fantasy and Science FIction Writers. I always did have trouble with limiting it to horror. I like dark fantasy.

I think it is about baby steps. Begin as a writers group. Stay a writers' group. Critiques, eventually more, when people are ready or want to. But writing is its heart and soul.

The other group that has splintered is a fan club primarily.

Chuck Zaglanis said...

I would propose "Michigan Dark Fiction Writers" instead of dark fantasy...I dunno...dark fantasy always makes me think of an evil D&D campaign.

SP said...

Hmm, okay. I was going to change the name myself, but someone said it was a great name and I should keep it, and now the consensus seems to be to change it? Ahhhh... :-)